About Mr. J.

I was born in Ottawa and raised in the Beaverbrook community here in Kanata. In my youth, I attended Stephen Leacock for early French Immersion and W.E.J. for grades 7-8. I am also a graduate of Earl of March High School. Needless to say, I am very happy to be teaching at one of the schools that I attended as a child! In fact, I have spent my entire 24-year teaching career at W.E.J. I have been teaching here since 1998. I taught grade 5 for 11 years. This will be my 13th year teaching grade 3. I have enjoyed all of my years at W.E.J. It truly is an exceptional school. On top of my teaching duties, over the years I have enjoyed working and interacting with students in a variety of extracurricular activities and settings (e.g., running primary and junior chess clubs, junior Scrabble, Green Team, junior soccer, junior and intermediate basketball, junior track and field teams, primary summer play days, etc.).

My wife also grew up in Beaverbrook. We decided to settle here soon after we were married. We love Kanata and could not imagine living anywhere else! Our two daughters, ages 19 and 22, attend the University of Toronto – Mississauga and Queens University respectively.

For my undergrad, I received a Bachelor of Science (Honours) degree in psychology from Trent University. I went on and received a Master’s degree in psychology from Carleton University. My teaching certificate was completed at the University of Ottawa.

My interests/hobbies include: travelling in the summer (especially all across Europe, Stratford, New York City…and to Disneyworld!) with my wife and daughters, sports (especially anything to do with the Ottawa REDBLACKS and the Ottawa Senators – I am an avid fan of both teams!), live theatre, the cinema (I love seeing movies on the big screen when I can – the way movies are meant to be seen!), music (a variety of styles…pop, rock, classical, jazz… my older brother – a WEJ graduate and professional musician – won a Juno Award for Outstanding Jazz Album and more recently, several Daytime Emmys for composing music for the children’s television show Peg + Cat! 🙂 He also played for WEJ staff and students two years ago as part of our virtual Music Monday program!)…and playing multiple games of Scrabble Go on my iPhone or iPad on a daily basis (when I am not teaching… of course!).

I look forward to working closely with my students and their parents to make this year a memorable one for all!

6 comments to About Mr. J.

1. Aaron Bradley says:

Hi Mr. Jackson, great work on the blog! I know my son is excited about it and we check it all the time. He’s also enjoying the new class quite a bit!

One quick question though, perhaps I missed it, but is there an email address to contact you if need be?

Cheers,
    a2b

2. shawjack says:

Thanks for checking out the class blog on a regular basis! Yes…feel free to contact me at Shaw.Jackson@ocdsb.ca if you have any questions or concerns. I will do my best to reply promptly (though we are still waiting for internet and email service in portable land!)

3. Haixia Nie says:

My daughter was very excited to have you as her teacher and last night she kept talking to us what happened during the first school day!
    I am very pleased that you set up this blog so that as parents we would be able to follow our kids’ day to day activities and know you and your class better.
    Thank you very much! I’m looking forward to an excellent school year!

4. shawjack says:

I am so glad that she was excited about her first day! It seems like I have a very nice group of students this year!

5. Elizabeth says:

Hi Mr. Jackson,

I stumbled across your blog last week and I really like reading the messages you write for your students and parents. They are inspiring and reassuring. I am an elementary teacher myself and respect your “voice” online. Cheers to online learning!

Elizabeth

6. shawjack says:

Thank-you, Elizabeth. I hope all is well in your neck of the woods! Take care.